Bristol & District Chess League Forum

Chess in Bristol
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Steve Boniface update
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:36 pm 

Attendance at the congress is disappointing this year. Only 46 players in all, but we managed to keep the 3 sections intact.

See separate thread (congress on the move) for news about next year!

Saturday night: After two rounds, the Minor section is the only one with a clear leader. Unknown quantity Laurence Paynter, a former league player, is alone on 2/2.

In the Major, the middle order are being troublesome. Jerry Hendy, Alan Papier, Paul Tew and Adrian Walker all have 2/2, so tomorrow should sort out the men from the boys... Meanwhile, Andrew Borkowski is lurking half a point behind.

The Open contains two players graded over 200, plus a couple in the high 190's. After two rounds, Jim Burnett from Doncaster (200), Jody Johnson and Nigel Hosken have top score, with Tyson Mordue and Chris Timmins in close attendance. More tomorrow, if I remember...

I slept, and dreamt that life was Beauty,
I woke, and found that life was Duty.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:24 pm 

Sorry I missed the Sunday night report, but it was late and I was knackered!

Anyroadup...

The Open section was jointly won by Jim Burnett (200) from Doncaster, and Chris Timmins (175) no club but from Bristol, with 4.5/6, followed in joint third place by Tyson Mordue (201) now of South Bristol and Nigel Hosken (196) of Downend, both with 4.

In the Major, another close finish meant we had to wait till the end of the last game before knowing that Alan Papier of Clifton won outright with 5/6. Adrian Walker from Leamington Spa was second with 4.5, and Andrew Borkowski (Thornbury) and Paul Tew from Wales were joint third with 4.

The Minor section started with only 8 players, and finished with 6. (Just as well there weren't any more rounds!) It was sewn up by round 5, with unknown (though apparently he used to play in Bristol in the '90s) Laurence Paynter on a perfect score before being held to a draw by Kevin Markey from Gloucester in the final round. Colin Gardiner, all the way from Suffolk, came second with 4.5, and Kevin Markey and Phil Burnett (Cabot) finished joint third with 3.5. Kevin did well to recover after a shock loss in the first round to 8 year old Chirag Guha from Cardiff, bravely waving his grade of 41 in everybody's faces. He and the other youngster from Wales, Michael Burger, both finished with 2.

I think those that were there enjoyed themselves, but we're looking forward to a better turn out at the Holiday Inn in January.

I slept, and dreamt that life was Beauty,
I woke, and found that life was Duty.