Bristol & District Chess League Forum

Chess in Bristol
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:34 pm 

Hi Everyone
Here is a link to the flyer for the Downend Summer Quickplay 2014 which will take place on
1st & 15th July and 5th & 19th August, all Tuesdays.
http://www.chessit.co.uk/Downend%20Summer/2014/DOWNEND%20SUMMER%20QUICKPLAY%202014.doc
We have modernised the time control to do away with the quickplay (guillotine) finish and players will have 10 minutes initially with 5 seconds added per move to complete the game.
Theoretically games could last indefinitely but a game comprising 60 moves would use a maximum of 15 minutes for each player (as with the old time control) so this will not be a problem in practice.
It is a different system and as such will seem unfamiliar at first but the difference will be positive rather than negative.
I have officiated at many events using this form of (Fischer) time control and it has proved to be a success from the players' point of view and also organisationally.
Come along and participate in what for many will be a new experience!
Regards
Geoff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:47 pm 

32 players attended the Quickplay on Tuesday. Many thanks to Horfield Chess Club for the loan of enough digital clocks to supply all boards. Despite 3 different types of clocks being used the evening went without a hitch. Everyone seemed happy with the new time control and overrunning was just not an issue. We'll be doing it again on 15 July!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:34 am 

34 bodies took part in round 2, 10 took a break after round 1 but 12 newbies arrived including one James T Sherwin IM. Again the evening went smoothly and everyone seemed happy with the time control!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:45 pm 

The attendance for the 3rd round slipped below 30 for the first time with 28 competing, this may be due to holiday commitments or people may be saving their energy for the finale on Tuesday 19 August!

The leaderboard after 3 rounds

1. D. Painter-Kooiman Clevedon 13 pts
2. S. Meek South Bristol 12.5 pts
3. J. Humphreys Downend 12 pts
4. K. Wandowicz Horfield 11.5 pts
4. M. Brigden Downend 11.5 pts
6. H. Duncanson Downend 11 pts
7. J. Sherwin Bath 10.5 pts
8. C. Russell Downend 9.5 pts

The leading five have all played 3 rounds and, because only the best 3 rounds count in the final table, they will need to equal their weakest scores of 3 or 3.5 points before improving their overall scores. Messrs Duncanson, Sherwin and Russell have played in just 2 rounds and every point they score on Tuesday will count in the final table.

These players are in the leading score groups and will be paired against each other. It is likely that the opponents for the 2 round contingent will all be in the top five group.

With cash prizes for the top 5 placings and grading prizes farther down the table there is everything to play for.

Come along and be a part of it!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:38 pm 

The final round produced a thrilling three-way tie at the top of the table with Jim Sherwin Bath, and Chris Russell and Henry Duncanson, both Downend, all amassing 15 points. There was also a tie for fourth place between David Painter-Kooiman Clevedon and Michael Meadows Downend on 13 points. The winning score has been higher in the past but I cannot previously remember five people on 13 points and over.

The grading prizes were as follows

U150 Onis Kofi-Ofuafor Patchway
U125 Graham Strickland Horfield
U100 Jack Tye Downend

Junior Tom Thorpe Patchway

A full list of results will be available on the League website in due course.

The new time control produced no organisational problems and the player feedback I received was all positive.

My thanks to my co-organiser Shaun Walsh (he does the work and I take the credit!) and everyone who took part, and particular thanks to Horfield Chess Club for the loan of enough clocks to ensure that everyone experienced the new time control.