Bristol & District Chess League Forum

Chess in Bristol
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 pm 

Right! Let's try out Dave's new forum and see if anyone's reading it...

First of all, the Graeme Thomson Memorial rapidplay will most likely be on Sunday 18th March at the Polish Club (Clifton's venue). This may incorporate the Bristol League Rapidplay.
Watch the League Website for further details.

The rest of these are provisional.

27-29 March - Bristol Spring Congress, Filton, incorporating the Bristol League Championships.
26 May - Chipping Sodbury Rapidplay, Chipping Sodbury Town Hall
25-27 August - Steve Boniface Memorial, Filton
6 Oct - Chipping Sodbury Rapidplay, Chipping Sodbury Town Hall

There will also probably be another rapidplay, quite possibly in June at Filton.

There probably won't be a Bristol Winter Congress.

All details will be notified when finalised.

I've also been asked to draw your attention to the Welsh Chess Championships, Easter weekend (6-9 April) at the Park Inn, Cardiff North. Two sections - Open/Major and Minor (125 and under). Entry form from Andrew Trickey (andrew.trickey@email.com). I also have a form which I can email to you.

Graham

I slept, and dreamt that life was Beauty,
I woke, and found that life was Duty.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:48 am 

dvyate wrote:
27-29 March - Bristol Spring Congress, Filton, incorporating the Bristol League Championships.

Are you sure? That would be a Tuesday to a Thursday. :-)

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:38 pm 

this may be one of the 'details to be finalised'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:15 pm 

For those wanting an entry form to the Welsh Championships please follow the link below:

http://www.welshchessunion.org.uk/image ... y-form.doc

For anyone remotely interested I will be taking the plunge and entering the actual Welsh Championships this year, so if anyone is going I'll be a friendly (if I'm winning :D ) face.
Of course the Major/Open and the Minor are open to any nationality.

Tom

The Welsh U16 rapid play Champion (x2) and Welsh U20 Champion
2nd in British U16 Championship
thomas.g.thorpe@googlemail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:26 pm 

The plan for the Steve Boniface Congress is 2 rounds Sat, 2 Sun, 1 Bank Hol. Mon? Personally I quite liked the way it was organised last year with the congress Fri, Sat, Sun, and a rapidplay Mon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 pm 

I presume the Bristol Spring is scheduled for April 27th-29th, which does fall on a weekend.

Bristol is very lucky to have 2 weekend congresses, and numerous rapidplays to choose from.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:40 pm 

I am hoping spring congress is 23-25 mar? if anyone interested teignmouth rapidplay is 31st march

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:53 pm 

A thousand pardons one and all. Of course, the Spring congress should be 27-29 APRIL. :oops: At least it confirms that people are reading the forum...

As regards the Boniface etc., that is still open to debate. I'm quite happy to go along with the majority, so do we prefer a six round congress (Sat - Mon), or a 5 rounder with a rapidplay tacked on the end? It will make a difference to other dates, as we don't want to have too many rapidplays...do we?

It seems to me that this discussion is just what this forum is for. Let's hope lots of people get involved.

I slept, and dreamt that life was Beauty,
I woke, and found that life was Duty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:14 pm 

dvyate wrote:
A thousand pardons one and all. Of course, the Spring congress should be 27-29 APRIL. :oops: At least it confirms that people are reading the forum...

As regards the Boniface etc., that is still open to debate. I'm quite happy to go along with the majority, so do we prefer a six round congress (Sat - Mon), or a 5 rounder with a rapidplay tacked on the end? It will make a difference to other dates, as we don't want to have too many rapidplays...do we?

It seems to me that this discussion is just what this forum is for. Let's hope lots of people get involved.

I am in favour of a 5 round tourney and a rapid on the monday like it was this year!!! :) EDIT: Last year!!! :shock:

All Comments represents my own views and not necessary the view of Taunton or Tiverton Chess Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:45 am 

I would quite like to see a 6 round tournament - as the first Boniface Congress was a six round tournament when it was held at Jury's (off Corn Street). However, I know that rapidplays are popular too. I am going to bookmark the provisional date for this in my diary so that I am available to play, whatever the decision is.